Monday, September 8, 2014

Week 29: Learning About Prayer

This week I have learned a lot about prayers from one of my favorite people, Hermano Tinoco. One day he was about to say the prayer. After a minute of silence we asked what was wrong. He told us that he knew he was going to talk to God, so he wanted to think first about what he was going to ask Him and thank Him for. A few days later in his prayer he said something like, “Heavenly Father, remember how two days ago I asked for help for my friend? I would like to thank you, because he has improved a lot.” These two experiences really struck me. First, how many times do I really recognize that I’m talking with my loving Heavenly Father and that he is listening to what I am saying? Second, do I remember what I prayed for two days ago? Hermano Tinoco remembered and was able to recognize the answer to his prayer. How many times do we miss our answers to prayers or blessings because we aren’t paying attention?

Lately I have noticed how good I am at recognizing the things I’m doing wrong and what I need to improve on. That is good because it helps me to change, but I forget to recognize the things that I am doing right. I think it is really easy to see our imperfections and become depressed, therefore stunting our growth. God expects progression, not perfection. God wants us to be happy. There is always something we can improve, but it will do us no good if we only think of these things. We should rejoice in all that we have and be happy. :)  My week has been much better once I finally realized that. 

Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.” -Gordon B. Hinckley

“God is fully aware that you and I are not perfect. Let me add, God is also fully aware that the people you think are perfect are not. And yet we spend so much time and energy comparing ourselves to others - usually comparing our weaknesses to their strengths. As a result we never celebrate our good efforts because they seem to be less than what someone else does.” -Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Hermano Tinoco's Baptism

My companion heard if you hug a tree
it will take away your tiredness.



No comments:

Post a Comment