Monday, June 30, 2014

Week 19: Things That Matter Most


GUADALUPE GOT BAPTIZED! I´m so excited for her! She is so great and is an example for her kids. Pero the sad thing is that I left Lazaro Cardenas 5 days before her baptism. Super sad. But it´s okay, what´s important is that it happened :) 

Guadalupe at her baptism interview.

I´ve been studying 3 Nephi and I think it is my favorite book, at least for right now. I love reading the teachings of Jesus Christ to the people. One of my favorite scriptures is in 3 Nephi 13:19-21. I think I will frame this scripture and put it in my future house. 
19) “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal;” 
20) “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where theives do not break through nor steal.”
21) “For where your treasure is there will your heart be also.”

There are tons of distractions that can easily get us off course. We need to focus on Things That Matter Most: (this is a talk by Dieter F Uchtdorf, no?) the gospel of Jesus Christ and our family. These two things are eternal (and knowledge, but we´ll just count it in the gospel category). A saying I like is ¨If it doesn´t matter eternally does it really matter at all?¨ If we focus on the things that matter most we will find true happiness. 

And a quote. I always send a quote to the mission president each week and I really like this one.  ¨What is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. Wrote William Shakespeare, ´They do not love that do not show their love.´ We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us.¨ -President Thomas S. Monson    

Okay now some random stuff:

I´m freezing to death! Who would think that it would be cold in Mexico in the summer? During our studies in the morning I wear a sweater, coat, gloves, and scarf. I hope it gets better once I´m used to this freezing area.

 It rains like crazy! And the streets become like rivers. No joke. The other day we were trying to cross a street and we got drenched all the way up to our thighs because the water was deep and splashing up. We were freezing all day.

Okay, so this doesn't look very impressive
- but this was a calm area.

I can´t figure out how to pronounce my R´s. They are so hard! You have to do some magic trick with your tongue that I can´t figure out. I spend forever every day practicing. My companion finds it hilarious. I don´t! But she gets mad at English because we have letters in words that we don´t pronounce. lol

My comp is Hermana Vergara and we are getting along well. She is so funny and we have a good time! She is also a great teacher and I´m learning tons. 

We had fun doing some service.

FHE - Teaching Ephesians 6 and putting on the armor of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment