Monday, January 5, 2015

Week 46: Decisions Determine Destiny

Happy Three Wise Kings Day! This is special bread called Rosca. In Mexico everyone gets together and eats this bread and inside it there are little baby Christ figures. Whoever finds a figure in their bread has to buy tamales for everyone else on the 2nd of February. I found a figure, but we will have divisions before February. I will still buy tamales because they are yummy, and so is this bread :)


We went to eat at the Steakhouse Sirloin this past week. They serve American style food there, so it made me feel at home for the night :) My companion also thoroughly enjoyed eating there. 


She enjoyed it so much that as we left the restaurant she told me she didn't think she would be able to walk. 


We had to sit down along our way home. I felt awkward sitting on the sidewalk at night in the middle of Guadalajara. When we got home she threw up her buffet. It brought back childhood memories. lol


I calculated it out that this past week I spent at least 24 hours on bus rides. That doesn’t include combies (minibuses) and taxis. We were traveling absolutely everywhere! The next two weeks are going to be the same. Keeping me busy.

For two days we could not find anyone to teach....but we did find adorable kittens to hug. :) 


The little sister of my first convert was baptized this Saturday! It made me happy :) Their mom told me, “Look what you started Hermana Johnston! First my son, and now eight-months later my daughter too!” lol These are the elders in our ward who are the ones teaching her.


We are working on finding young men who are preparing to serve missions, who have not yet committed to serve missions, or have not yet received the priesthood. We found this great young man who hadn’t attended church in a long time, but told us that he has always wanted to serve a mission. We are making goals with him to get him back on track, and then he came to church on Sunday! It makes me happy to see the progress that he’s making.

On Sunday my first convert, who is now 18 years old, gave his testimony. He said that he has made the decision to serve a mission. He also said that he is extremely grateful for the “accidental coincidence” that resulted in us teaching him. We were trying to go someplace else and had the wrong directions - that’s how we found him. He is going to start working on his papers and preparing to leave after high school. I am very happy. :)

“It has been said that the gate of history turns on small hinges, and so do people’s lives. The choices we make determine our destiny.” -President Thomas S Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment